The Master of Arts in Sports Leadership is a 30 credit program, with 15 credits of required courses and 15 credits of sports electives leadership specialization. The program’s focus is on preparing graduates to assume leadership responsibilities in many key areas of the sports industry, including promotion and marketing, team resource assessment, organizational leadership and fiscal oversight.
The sports leadership program provides professional preparation for management and leadership positions with professional sports teams, intercollegiate and intramural athletics and recreation programs at secondary and post-secondary institutions, colleges and universities, and amateur athletic organizations. Professional preparation is also given for careers in private and public health and fitness clubs, corporate fitness and wellness programs, sports stadiums and arenas, and the sports marketing, management and communications firms that service the larger marketplace.
General Graduate Admission Requirements
All applicants must meet the general admission requirements for Concordia University Chicago graduate programs as published in the Concordia University Chicago academic catalog.
New students are accepted into graduate degree-seeking, certificate, endorsement and/or post-graduate programs for online and on-campus study in the fall, spring, or summer semesters. Previously admitted students seeking to change programs may do so at the beginning of a semester (only) by submitting a Change-of-Program quick app. Applicants must be in good academic standing according to Concordia University Chicago’s satisfactory academic progress standards at the time of requesting a program change.
To earn the Master of Arts in Sports Leadership, students must successfully complete 30 credit hours of coursework, which includes a master's capstone experience. The courses listed below can be taken in any sequence, except for the capstone experience, which is usually the last course in the program.
|MBAC-6100||Global Marketing in a Digital Era||3|
|OLDR-6001||Strategic Leadership & Planning||3|
|SPML-6010/MBAS-6810||The Essentials of the Law in Sports||3|
|SPML-6030||Sports Leadership and Ethics||3|
|SPML-6060/MBAS-6815||Level the Playing Field: Diversity in Sports||3|
|SPML-6140||Research in Sports Studies||3|
|SPML-6100||Sports Leadership Master’s Project||3|
- Have on file an application as a degree-seeking graduate student.
- Have on file one official transcript from EACH college/university attended of all previous coursework taken.
- Complete, for the degree being sought:
- the credit hours and levels as designated,
- within the specified time limit,
- with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Students completing multiple advanced programs or degrees at CUC must have a 3.0 GPA in each academic program in addition to a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- If transfer credit is approved to be applied: have on file an approved “Graduate Transfer Credit Approval” form(s) or evaluation(s).
- Have on file the Intent to Graduate/Complete form with the Office of the Registrar by the published deadline.
- Have on file, if applicable, necessary copies of a project, thesis or dissertation.
- Take and pass the final examination or terminal requirements in the program during or after the final course.
- Approval of the faculty.
- Payments of all tuition and fees due to Concordia University Chicago. All holds must be removed to receive transcripts and diploma.
Every attempt has been made to include information to aid the student with information about his/her program, degree and graduation/completion requirements. It is, however, the student’s responsibility to complete all steps and meet all deadlines relevant to graduation requirements.